The guiding principle of Right Here Newham is "nothing about us, without us", in other words, BAME young people must have a say in the support that is provided to help them look after their mental health. In general BAME young men and women only access mental health services at crisis points. Lack of appropriate early intervention and preventative services leaves this group particularly vulnerable.
In 2010-11 Right Here Newham will:
- Implement a young people led commissioning programme, to support innovative well being projects for BAME young people locally;
- Launch an extensive well being champions service, with young BAME people supporting their peers throughout the borough, to help them look after their mental health, or to signpost them to other appropriate services;
- Deliver issue based workshops, focusing on common mental health problems, for the Newham Right Here youth panel and other young people;
- Deliver a range of young people led activities to promote and raise awareness of mental health to BAME young people;
- Provide training to members of the Right Here Newham youth panel to build their capacity and help them to become involved in decision making at the highest level;
- Launch its own website.